||Education, Humanities and social sciences
||From Plato to the present-day educators are agreed that the life, strength and development of a nation is insured in its education, and that the right of proper education is indispensable to its survival. This is the education which inculcates moral values while, at the same time, cultivating good life and good citizenship. Such education must be both complete and generous as to enable a man or woman to perform justly, skillfully, and magnanimously in all the offices entrusted to him/ her, both private and public. Ever since its inception, and throughout its existence, the School of Humanities and Social Sciences has been guided by the philosophy and the conviction that the questing mind, creative and imaginative thinking as well as dedicated discipline and sense of duty best reflect and characterize successful and progressive educational system or process. Not only is the School dedicated to quality education and academic excellence, it also reflects the conviction that humanistic disciplines are civil society?s driving engine, the key to its creativity, its diversity, its imagination, and hence its spontaneousness, human rights, democratic values, tolerance, pluralism, good governance, academic freedom and liberty. The School of Humanities and Social Sciences sees no better way to understand the lessons of the past and to conceptualize the future than through the humanities and social sciences.
The Vision of the School of Humanities and Social Sciences is to produce world class workers in Africa.
||The fundamental mission of the School of Humanities and Social Sciences is to search, chronicle, develop individual talent, teach the truth, and disseminate knowledge and truth to the world within the context of service to God and humanity at large.
||Academic programmes in the School of Humanities and Social Sciences are specifically designed to accomplish the following objectives:
1. To provide the opportunity for students to acquire knowledge in one of the disciplines offered in the School.
2. To acquaint students with the various fields within the humanities and social sciences as well as their relationship to other disciplines.
3. To prepare and enable students appreciate the value and quintessence of humanistic disciplines as they relate to humankind and its problems.
4. To prepare professionals, including researchers and teachers who will, in rum, contribute to the development and application of knowledge in nation-building during and after their studies.
5. To meet academic, scholarly and professional needs of students in all aspects of their pursuits.
6. To help students to live their own lives as useful members of their community by inculcating moral leadership values.
7. To develop academic, scholarly and professional discourses and public agenda for quality education and academic excellence.
8. To prepare students for postgraduate studies and advanced research in humanistic disciplines.
9. To prepare students to teach courses in humanities and social sciences at all levels in secondary schools and teacher training colleges.
10. To provide a broad-based forum for free exchange of ideas - forum which embodies professional commitment to a set of values which include boldness of vision, willingness to initiate, renovate, capacity to lead and inspire desire to project or dream of a better future.
11 .To provide quality higher education and academic excellence within the context of the philosophy of education and the mission of the Seventh-day Adventist Church.
||DEGREES AND DIPLOMAS OFFERED BY THE SCHOOL
1. Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Development Studies
2. Bachelor of Arts (BA) in French
3. Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Geography
4. Bachelor of Arts (BA) in History
5. Bachelor of Arts ( BA) in Kiswahili
6. Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Linguistics
7. Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Literature
8. Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Music
9. Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Religion
10. Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Theology
11. Bachelor of Music in Music Education (BMMEd)
1. Minor in Development Studies
2. Minor in English
3. Minor in Environmental Studies
4. Minor in French
5. Minor in Geography
6. Minor in History
7. Minor in Kiswahili
8. Minor in Linguistics
9. Minor in Literature
10. Minor in Music
11. Minor in Political Science
12. Minor in Religion